Valmont Tubing produces square, rectangle, round and specially shaped electric resistance welded (ERW) high strength, low alloy (HSLA) atmospheric corrosion resistant structural steel tubing to meet ASTM specification A847. Commonly referred to as weathering steel, ASTM A606 Type 4 high-strength, low-alloy (HSLA) steel utilizes elements such as copper, chromium, nickel and silicon to enhance the protection and resistance to atmospheric corrosion.
Tubes produced to ASTM A847 are mainly used in an unpainted condition where the surface will develop a weathered orange-brown oxide over time that inhibits corrosion. With the additional elements such as those noted above, the added strength of the steel itself allows for a lighter wall thickness of steel to be used than for carbon steel tubing in order to meet structural physical requirements.
For a complete listing of all tubing sizes produced by Valmont, please visit our Steel Tubing Product Catalog.
- According to ASTM A847, the weld seam location for square, rectangle and other specially shaped tubing shall not be located within the corner radius unless specified by the customer or manufacturer.
- Under ASTM A847, the corner radius for square and rectangular tubing shall not exceed three times the corner radius.
- As a standard under ASTM A847, electric resistance welded tubing is normally provided without removal of inside flash. If flash control is required, please specify at time of quotation or order placement.
- ASTM A500 is a related structural specification that covers standard carbon steel tubing. Please refer to the ASTM A500 page for more information.
- For more detailed information on the A847 specification and to purchase a copy, please visit the ASTM website.
Please contact one of our knowledgeable sales staff members, who will assist you with any further questions regarding this specification or with your specific tubing requirements.