A513 Type 1 & 2 Tubing
Valmont Tubing produces round carbon and alloy electric resistance welded (ERW) mechanical tubing to ASTM specifications A513 Type 1A (hot rolled), Type 1B (pickled and oiled) and Type 2 (cold rolled). Produced in sizes ranging from 1.05" OD up to 12.75" OD and in nominal wall thicknesses beginning at 18-gauge (0.049") and heavier, Valmont's ASTM A513 tubing is used in a variety of industrial, agricultural and transportation-related end uses. For a complete listing of sizes produced, please visit our Steel Tubing Product Catalog.
A513 Type 1A & 1B
ASTM A513 Type 1A mechanical tubing is produced from hot rolled strip steel, while A513 Type 1B tubing is produced from hot rolled strip steel that has been pickled to remove scale then oiled to provide a cleaner surface than hot rolled. A513 Type 1 tubing provides more specific tolerances for OD, wall thickness, length and straightness tolerances than pipe and structural tubing specifications. It is often is used in applications where bending, flanging, flaring or flattening is required. Tubing produced to the A513 specification also provide improved ductility with its closely controlled carbon steel grades.
A513 Type 2
ASTM A513 Type 2 is produced from hot rolled strip steel that has been cold reduced. Due to the extra cold working at the steel mills, A513 Type 2 tubing will have tighter wall thickness tolerances, improved surface condition and a narrower range of mechanical properties than A513 Type 1. A513 Type 2 tubing is used in a variety of applications where surface condition is critical and where further polishing or plating of the tubing is required. The maximum wall thickness for cold rolled tubing is 0.120" nominal.
- ASTM A513 covers carbon steel grades starting at 1008 and higher, in addition to specified alloy steels. Please visit our Finishes & Chemistries page for a listing of our standard chemistry capabilities.
- Physical testing (yield, tensile and elongation) is not required under A513. If there is a specific strength requirement for your application, please be sure to include at the time of inquiry, as that will affect the chemistry required.
- Flash control
of the ID weld bead is discussed in section 12.3 to 12.3.4 of the specification. Valmont produces tubing to flash control 0.015" maximum, 0.010" maximum, 0.005" maximum and flash in.
- Valmont does not produce tubing to meet ASTM A513 Types 3, 4, 5 or 6. Depending upon actual tolerances requested, however, Valmont's ability to produce tubing to tolerances tighter than A513 Type 1 and 2 allows us to explore options to replace ASTM A513 Type 5 DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. Please inquire with one of our knowledgeable salespeople if your needed tolerances lie between A513 Type 1 or 2 and A513 Type 5, so we can explore alternatives to drawn over mandrel.
- ASTM A787 is a related mechanical tubing specification that covers metallic coated (galvanized, hot-dip galvanized, aluminized and galvannealed) carbon steel tubing. Please refer to the ASTM 787 page for more information.
- For more detailed information on the A513 specification and to purchase a copy, please visit the ASTM website.
Please contact one of our knowledgeable sales staff members, who will assist you with any further questions regarding this specification or with your specific tubing requirements.